Monday, July 27, 2009

The Library

So, I realized I have been spending way too much money on books. I don't desire to keep many books after I read them, but I do enjoy passing them onto my friends. I always like to have a good book to read onhand, especially with how much time I sit waiting on trains to pass. I have not invested in a Kindle or any other kindof book reader yet, so I am still reading traditional books. I do believe I would use a Kindle if I had one, but not exclusively by any means. Until last week, I have probably been to a public library a handful of times since high school and that was probably for emergency Internet access or something, not to check out books. (Of course in college I had to use the college library but that was a requirement!)

So, last week I got myself a library card. Libraries are so much more user friendly than what I was used to growing up. You can pick out the books you want online and have them sent to the library that you prefer to pick them up at. You can also put limitless books on hold and they will come to the library of your liking. The Live Oak Library System where I live covers libraries in 3 counties - Liberty, Effingham, and Chatham County where I live and work. I have already exceeded the number of books I can check out for my first 3 weeks, so I am also using Brandon's library card. The books are all in surprisingly fantastic condition! Out of the last five books, I would not think any of them had been previously read. Two of them were books that were going to be expensive to buy because they are not printed in the U.S. The books were by a British author, Madeline Wickham, who is known for the stuff she has written and published in the United States under the name Sophie Kinsella. Sophie Kinsella wrote the "Shopaholic" series, which one of the books was recently made into a movie. The biggest inconvenience is that libraries have had to cut back on their hours due to lack of funding. The libraries have hours that vary per day and are not even open every day. Luckily, I have a library near my work which I can go to 4 days per week after lunchtime, so I do this on my lunch break. There are not too many places to go around here, so this is kindof exciting for now.

If anybody has read a good book lately, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment