Wednesday, August 12, 2009

PHR Exam

So, after finishing my bachelors degree in Human Resource Management in 2001, I thought about eventually furthering my education. I never took my PHR exam because I needed HR experience after college and I did not immediately go work in an exempt level HR job. I didn't want to stress over taking the test and then if I was fortunate enough to succeed, risk losing it if I didn't have enough real world work experience. So, in 2003, I decided to pursue my Masters degree in HR Management. I received my MBA in HR 2 years later - end of the summer of 2005. Around that time, I began looking for HR jobs and was hired by Centex Homes in South Carolina in October of 2005. I enjoyed my job at Centex Homes where I worked until I was laid off the summer of 2008 - where we kept thinking (hoping, praying - perhaps a little on the optimistic side) that home building was hitting rock bottom, but it seemed to continue to get worse rather than better. Fortunately, I found a job in a stronger industry by the end of the summer of 2008. I am currently employed as the Assistant Manager of Human Resources for the Georgia Ports Authority.

After all of the time, I was thinking about what my options were for continuing my education. I do have some desires for a doctorate degree one day, but that isn't an immediate goal in my life for various reasons. As of today, I am registered to take my PHR exam at the end of the year. I have not been studying at all. I have lots of hours of hard work in front of me because it would be wonderful if I could receive my certification on my first try, but I know this is not going to be easy.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you can accomplish anything you try! You are a smart girl and I have faith in you. Keep a positive spirit and an open mind. Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete